View Single Post
(#526 (permalink))
Old
Ellextra (Offline)
New to JF

Talking 12-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Hello Nyororin

It's a nice story you have here. I left my home at 15 to learn the other national language of my country: Belgium.
It wasn't easy for French and Dutch are so different. And even if it s the same country, the culture is very different. Anyway I think we'll split soon...
It does not matter since I have been living in London for 3 years.
My case is bit odd. I am an adopted Korean girl. It's hard in the sense that I look 100% asian, but I ve been brought up the european way. i came here when I was 4months old.
To be more confusing I can speak fluent French-dutch and my spanish is almost fluent.
English I dont count it, it s like a "natural" language, like you are born with it.

I m naturally attracted to Asia. not Korea strangely enough. I like Japanese language better, and the culture in general. It took me a few years to realize I was NOT european. it's bit like Tarzan being brought up with monkeys, it took time to realize it was not one. Not that europeans are monkeys please I did not say that.

The feeling is belonging, the attachment to culture is absent in my conception. I am so not what and where I am supposed to be, I have freed myself from this. It allows me to move on. It does not mean i m mercenary wandering around with no respect . It's hard to define. i d be glad to discuss this with someone like me.

Sorry, it s bit long now. What I wanted to say. i m coming the whole month of January, on my own. First in Tokyo, i d love to see Hokkaido. i dont speak japanese, although I spent the last month learning the hiragana and katakana and basic grammar. I just can say that I find it easier than I thought.
I hope I can just sit there in the corner and observe people, listen to them etc. I m bit scared about the fact that adoption is not very common in Japan ne?

I secretely hope I can work there one day. I work in the hospitality industry in London, but I have competed this summer in the Asia Pacific best bartender comp in Singapore. Japanese work so well, unbelievable.
I also met someone there, hopefully I can see him. communication is hard, as he is english is poor as well.
If i see him, I look in his eyes and he understands, but on messenger, it s a cata.

Where about are you? is it a nice area of Japan I should visit as well.
Do you know how long it would take me on the train to see Hokkaido? Also is Okinawa very far?

(I think it s great you want to help people)
happy new year!