(#6 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
01-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
True enough, though "however" is supposedly more universal than contractions, I believe. As in you're supposed to use "however" everytime you write any kind of composition (fiction or scientific journal) whereas contractions are only excluded from compositions such as expository or analytical essays or a scientific or legal document.

But I could be wrong.
I just finished an Expository writing class and we were simply not allowed to use contractions at all. On the other hand, she is a hardcore grammar person and her mother was a Latin teacher. So it might not be practical when only using it for report purposes. Frankly, I think it depends on the teacher; some teachers simply don't care. And I agree fully that However is supposed to be used. 'But' is pretty colloquial(?), for lack of a better word, and just flows easier in writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
That's about as well as I can explain it. Nuance is difficult--mostly because not even native speakers truly understand it and therefore cannot really explain it. It's just something you know intuitively.
Sooo, true.

~Genauso wie du~