View Single Post
(#34 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Like I said before, there are some self-esteem issues that seem to be surfacing in your posts that are a result of the way you percieve your own culture compared to others. I don't know why you feel you or your culture inferior... what is it about being black that you don't want to be associated with? And what is it about Japanese culture that makes you think they are better disciplined?
We blacks are perceived as lazy, thuggish, can't be trusted, stupid, criminals, sex-crazed (*points to shows like Maury Povitch*), curse every other word, speak in ebonics, can only have jobs pertaining to "entertainment", on government assistance or welfare, even though I read someplace that there are a whole lot more whites on welfare than blacks (but media doesn't show this), etc. We really are looked down upon, but that's why it's up to those of our race to stand out and show that we aren't the negatives that society has associated with us. Look at the candidate running, Obama, here for our presidency. He's received death threats early on into his campaigning, and on the news, I heard something about the KKK wanting to do a march. I really don't feel many people are going to vote for Obama in fear of his life.

I feel that the OP has a problem with how we are portrayed in media and such and I have a problem with it too and ashamed of most of it, but the difference between me and the original poster, I try to stand out from the negative stereotypes. I like being perceived as "smart" and such. I think the OP really needs to work on her self image issues (which to me, she does seem to have), and worry about adoption later.