View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
All the Nova teachers have either, a) got jobs by now, b) gone home or c) are probably teaching in Korea. The ones that don't fall into those three categories are probably milking unemployment insurance for all it's worth. I know the Nova in my city is still shut down, but I never knew the teachers aside from seeing them outside or in the shop.

As far as being able to get a job quickly if JET doesn't take you into their loving arms and cuddle you like a little baby, there are always openings for ALT's somewhere in this country. In fact, you can have my job right now. I wouldn't mind at all. The tough part is finding a job where you want to work and for the amount you are willing to work for, but that is probably only those who are working in Japan already. Most people just want to get over here when they first come and don't care where it is.

One more thing, I don't think our two JET alumns mentioned it, but one of the questions you will get goes something like, "If you had 20 retards (students) in front of you right now, demonstrate a quick lesson for us." Am I right alumns? So think about that, and I would wager your best bet would be to include a game and song element to it. And maybe something "cultural" like a Valentines lesson stressing the differences between US V'day and Japan V'day.
My interview was a long time ago, so I don't remember a question like that...but it doesn't mean they don't ask now, and it isn't worth preparing for.

Since I had studied Japanese, part of interview was in Japanese. Since I put literature down as one of my hobbies I was asked, in Japanese, to compare the plusses and minuses of Japanese literature with the plusses and minuses of American literature. That was more than a little nerve-wracking.