View Single Post
(#145 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
03-23-2008, 07:34 AM

Well, you managed to not answer my question....

Your bushido-esque stuff looks more and more irrational every time we debate.... "It is still evil you become, when you easily had the alternative to refuse evil, yet you did not." Sometimes you don't have an alternative. Sometimes you do, but it's pointless.

Did you ever see the movie Master and Commander? There's a scene where they get caught in a big storm chasing after the French ship. One of the characters shimmies up the mast to untangle some ropes, but the mast breaks before he finishes and he goes into the water. The mast is still attached to the ship by all the ropes, though, and it's pulling the shipping over, threatening to capsize the whole thing. The captain orders several of the crewmen to cut the ropes to the mast, even as the overboard man is trying to climb the ropes back to the ship. If they'd have waited, he might have gotten back to the ship and lived. Also if they'd have waited, the ship might have capsized and every member of the crew would have died.

Either choice led to something bad happening. The choice that resulted in the least bad killed one man but saved over a hundred. Tell me now that the captain compromised himself and his honour in that situation. Fuckin' tell me that, and show everyone how fucked up your philosophy is.

*His third option was to sit and do nothing, which again would have led to the death of everyone--hence, third option=pointless

At this point, if the opinion is coming from you specifically, I'm perfectly happy with "disgraceful" methods. Why? Because there is apparently no way to fight a war today that isn't disgraceful, by your definition. "Zomg, a chunk of concrete from the fortified bunker you bombed flew across the street and hit an elementary school! U r t3h disr4c3!!!111oneleven"

Even without the shit in Fallujah, I'm sure you would tell me that everything we've done in Iraq was disgraceful, everything we've done in Afghanistan is disgraceful, the dirt we set foot on is disgraceful.

Shut up.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.