View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-09-2008, 11:47 AM

You need to learn more on Tibet. Japanese people take this issue very seriously. Today Prime Minister Fukuda and DPJ Leader Ozawa seriously discussed these human rights issues in the national diet. We have hosted Tokyo, Sapporo, and Nagano Olympic games before, and the torch relay will soon reach Nagano. Tibet is a Buddhist land and one of our neighbors. We just cannot keep silent and let it pass.

I know of a female Tibetan singer married to a Japanese man. I've listened to her songs at my school before, thus I am deeply concerned about the recent Chinese crackdown in Tibet.

They have a folktale that is very similar to our Taketori Monogatari (竹取物語), and that's a cultural link between Tibet and Japan.

Tibet is close to Mt. Everest. Mr. Miura Yuichiro from Japan, 75, has been forced to change his course and switched to the Nepalese side because of this disaster in Tibet. If successful, he'll become the oldest man ever to scale the highest mountain in the world. It would be better if he could get into Tibet...

The Associated Press: Japanese Man, 75, Wants to Scale Everest

I'm very glad to see these prominent people speaking up. Iruka (singer), Ms. Kato Tokiko (actress), Kawahara Ayako, and many others help raise awareness of this issue in Japan. Now I feel I need to do something too, like asking the Tibetan singer to join the group.

• 金色のちひさき鳥のかたちしていてふちるなり夕日の丘 に
  • 清水へ祇園をよぎる桜月夜こよひ逢ふひとみなうつくし き

- 与謝野晶子
  • いちはつの花咲きいでて我目には今年ばかりの春行かん とす
  • くれなゐの二尺伸びたる薔薇の芽の針やはらかに春雨の ふる

- 正岡子規