(#20 (permalink))
Old
eruchan (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
What did you ask them?
There is a freaking ton of paperwork, some of which I need to still go to the US to get official copies of things for (such as proof of which number child I am). As I really really do not want to do that, for various reasons, I`m taking the long route that lets me do without them.

You can get citizenship, and I know of several people who have. It takes time.

If you just recently moved to Japan and went and asked, then no, you can`t. You have to have been in Japan for a certain number of years, but yes it is indeed completely possible. Your family members likely cannot receive citizenship, unless they too have married a Japanese citizen, lived in Japan for so many years, etc. You can`t just go any apply anytime you feel like it. There are requirements and things which can rule you out.

Ask about 帰化 - all the offices around me have been more than helpful to help me, but it will still take a year or two to process.
after the 2 times that i went to shinagawa, i kinda gave up on citizenship. i wanted to get it becoz my husband is japanese and i thought that it'd be easier on many things, especially if there happens to be any national crisis. i went there around 1 year ago and it was a no good and basically, their reply to me was that citizenship applications are by default not granted except for special circumstances.