View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I want to offer my opinion to the opposite of this.
They don`t necessarily do a "better" job. Unless we`re talking about the driven innovators, they are often so tied down in office politics that it`s difficult to even get the most basic things done.
Even if someone above you doesn`t really have any part in the decision you are making, and even if they are in a different department... You still have to show respect by waiting for their opinion. I can`t even begin to count how many times my husband has spent half his workday (or more) doing "maintenance" type work while waiting for someone, somewhere, to call him so that there is no break in the respect.
It`s definitely not efficient, but when you`re going to likely spend the rest of your life working around these people - it`s important. You can`t just up and quit, head over to another office and be hired.
Absolutely right, and I wonder where those that don't think Americans are good or efficient workers base that opinion on...especially those that have never been a part of the American workforce.

Efficiency is far from a priority in the Japanese work place. Look at the court systems. Remember the OJ case and how it took over a year. It took the Japanese courts a DECADE to rule on Asahara Shoke, the leader of the Tokyo Sarin Gas Attack.