View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hi all, I watched sumo a couple of times, but I am not familiar with some of the rules and etiquettes of a spectator. I did see a lot of people tossing out the seat cushion, what is the significance of that?

In general, the spectators throw their cushions towards the ring only when someone beats a Yokozuna (highest-ranked wrestler). If you beat the Yokozuna, you've done a great job and you need to be commended. You deserve to sit in a more comfortable chair, and that means better and bigger cushions in the Japanese tradition. So the cushion tossing is the way the spectator expresses his respect for that lower-ranked wrestler. It's like saying, "You deserve to sit on a cushion!"

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ ・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Koto-Oushuu did win the tournament yesterday, making himself the first European sumo wresler ever to win a tournament. Only six non-Japanese have won one or more in the long history of the sport (4 Americans and 2 Mongolians). I almost cried watching this moment on TV. It's not easy to come from another country and succeed in sumo, which is one of the most conservative 'worlds' within Japan. Congratulations Koto-Oushuu!! (His name means 'Harp of Europe').

Here's the new champ with his father:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080524-00000023-jijp-spo-view-000.jpg (60.2 KB, 76 views)