JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Sumo.... - 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM

I've been a fan of Sumo since I first attended a match in Tokyo last year.

This summer's tournament is becoming big news because of Kotooshu, the big man from Bulgaria who has managed to toss both of the currently reigning Yokozuna (champions) out of the ring on consecutive days.

As of tonight, Kotooshu has won all of the bouts in the tournament, 12 in a row. Only 3 bouts remain until the end of the tournament, and the awarding of the Emperor's cup. Asashoryu (one of the 2 Yokozuna) is all but eliminated from the running, while Hakuho (the other Yokozuna) is the only one who still has a chance to keep the prize from Kotooshu.

Despite Kotooshu being a Bulgarian, he is the obvious crowd favorite. Last night seat cushions when flying across the ring after Kotooshu sent Asashoryu flying into the ringside seats. Hakuho's defeat tonight seemed to be expected by the crowd, and he met the same fate as Asashoryu, being thrown from the ring and onto the nearby bystanders.

Kotooshu was my favorite wrestler last year, though it was not a spectacular season for him, but now he is one season away from becoming a Yokozuna himself,

Ganbatte Kotooshu!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-23-2008, 03:56 AM

I'm pretty sure Koto-Oushuu will win the current tournament. It's about time someone from Europe won one.

To me, it seemed until a year or two ago, Koto-Oushuu didn't know how to make good use of his big body. He clearly has trained his lower body to create a better foundation to use his already-strong upper body more effectively. He just looks better each day!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Hi all, I watched sumo a couple of times, but I am not familiar with some of the rules and etiquettes of a spectator. I did see a lot of people tossing out the seat cushion, what is the significance of that?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hi all, I watched sumo a couple of times, but I am not familiar with some of the rules and etiquettes of a spectator. I did see a lot of people tossing out the seat cushion, what is the significance of that?

In general, the spectators throw their cushions towards the ring only when someone beats a Yokozuna (highest-ranked wrestler). If you beat the Yokozuna, you've done a great job and you need to be commended. You deserve to sit in a more comfortable chair, and that means better and bigger cushions in the Japanese tradition. So the cushion tossing is the way the spectator expresses his respect for that lower-ranked wrestler. It's like saying, "You deserve to sit on a cushion!"

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・ ・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Koto-Oushuu did win the tournament yesterday, making himself the first European sumo wresler ever to win a tournament. Only six non-Japanese have won one or more in the long history of the sport (4 Americans and 2 Mongolians). I almost cried watching this moment on TV. It's not easy to come from another country and succeed in sumo, which is one of the most conservative 'worlds' within Japan. Congratulations Koto-Oushuu!! (His name means 'Harp of Europe').

Here's the new champ with his father:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080524-00000023-jijp-spo-view-000.jpg (60.2 KB, 76 views)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-25-2008, 10:14 AM

let's see if 琴欧州 、kotooushuu, becomes more popular than 朝青龍, asashouryuu, who is an arrogant bastard if u ask me.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-25-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that he will be more popular than Asashouryuu....unless he changes. The Japanese love that soft-spoken new hero.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Koto-Oushuu at the award ceremony today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080525-00000033-jijp-spo-view-000.jpg (38.3 KB, 70 views)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-27-2008, 12:47 PM

I like his eyes, hes is very nice and maybe we will see a new yokozuna if he keeps up winning, they spent like forever on him in the news last night
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2008, 09:05 AM

I enjoyed the ceremony at the end of the tournament, but the last fight between Asashoryu and Hakuho was definitely worth seeing. Both fighters obviously felt put out, and seemed to take out their anger on each other. Asashoryu gave Hakuho an extra push after Hakuho was already down, Hakuho then stood up and shouldered Asashoryu roughly while giving a "I'm ready if you are" look.

I'll definitely be going to see the July tournament in person.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Boschman (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2008, 02:13 PM

i try to see sumo as much as i can on youtube..since i dont have tv, im not able to see whole tournaments, only highlights..

i know that torrentsites are not allowed in japan, but maybe someone can tell me if there is a all sumo torrent site, where i can dl it.

who is that little wrestler who walks so proudly into the ring and if he wins walks away if he just won a million dollars...and if he losses he walks away with the world on his shoulders..the people seems to love him..

watching a tournament in japan is one of the first things that i will do whenever i go to japan...
is it hard to get a decent seat? do i need to make reservations before i leave to japan?

greetings..B