View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammako3 View Post
Straight to the point: is it awkward for a foreigner to be travelling alone in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka (the three places I plan on visiting)?

Story time: My friend who was suppossed to go with me bailed out and I decided to go on my own anyway. I'm a 24 year old female, but to be honest I'm not concerned about the "dangers" of being a lone female in Japan. I know there is always a chance something could happen, but I also know Japan is one of the safest places in the world.

What I'm really concerned about is if it will look strange for me to be eating out alone or going to Kabuki-za and such alone. Most of the people here talk about going places with friends, so I wasn't sure it it was weird to be alone. (Er, also, I have a digital voice recorder I plan to be speaking into as I travel. . . will that be crazy weird as well? I know not to speak on the trains or on tours, but I mean along the street while I walk should be fine, right?)

I do speak some Japanese (probably low grade school level), so i won't be completly helpless. Also, I will be staying in an apartment in Nakano for the month I'll be there. I appreciate any comments, tips, or help! Thanks!

(PS, anyone know about the Dontsuku Matsuri? I want to go, but I'm not sure what day or what time it is.)

alot of people go alone, i see solo people all the time, its always easy to make new friends and stuff. Tourist always run into other tourists and hang out

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan