(#26 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
If there was a person on here who was a victim of rape and requested us to stop using it because they genuinely were offended, then we would stop...

Ok, we can go that route. I will speak up because there are probably other victims who aren't comfortable speaking up and they are the ones we need to be concerned for - not me.

Though it has nothing whatsoever to do with why I object to how the term is being used here, I am genuinely offended and I was the victim of rape attemtps in 1968 and again in 1976. Need any more details? They are on file with law enforcement officials in Mississippi and Texas.

Actually I find the jokes uncomfortable because I have witnessed what this sort of flippant disregard in conversation for the matter has on people who were more traumatized than I was. Joking about this matter can cause a rape victim to compound the emotional trauma with feeling that their reactions to the rape are unhealthy because others are able to laugh about rapes.

Its nothing like joking about murder where everyone knows its wrong. There are entire cultures that still condone rape and many people even in western countries who continue to blame the victim.