(#30 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-04-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ok, we can go that route. I will speak up because there are probably other victims who aren't comfortable speaking up and they are the ones we need to be concerned for - not me.

Though it has nothing whatsoever to do with why I object to how the term is being used here, I am genuinely offended and I was the victim of rape attemtps in 1968 and again in 1976. Need any more details? They are on file with law enforcement officials in Mississippi and Texas.

Actually I find the jokes uncomfortable because I have witnessed what this
sort of flippant disregard in conversation for the matter has on people who were more traumatized than I was. Joking about this matter can cause a rape victim to compound the emotional trauma with feeling that their reactions to the rape are unhealthy because others are able to laugh about rapes.

Its nothing like joking about murder where everyone knows its wrong. There are entire cultures that still condone rape and many people even in western countries who continue to blame the victim.
Thank you.

The thing is guys no one should have to confess to being raped in order for you to stop using it. That's just sick of you guys to take it to that level.

Go ahead and joke around all you want I don't care, however replacing the word rape with sex still gets the joke out and doesn't offend anyone near as much.

You are mocking rape. Rape is a painful thing so me and others are kindly asking you guys to stop.
I have approached several members about their usage and I get the same response, " I was just kidding" or " Don't take it seriously"
Regardless of what you say I do take it serious because it is serious.
Just like you don't bad mouth God in church you shouldn't make fun of rape around potential rape victims.
It's common manners.

And Claire if you have a problem with other words PM the people using them or make a suggestion thread of your own.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan