View Single Post
(#129 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Huh? Even IF that was what I meant, how are you supposed to know a single American didn't vote just to appease the rest of the world, indirectly at least.
That is, how do you know a single American who votes for Obama isn't effected by the negative press they get throughout the world and thus votes for Obama, to appease that negative press.
Not even the great MMM can make a statement so generic and expect it to hold water.

Now that isn't even what I was trying to say but I was replying to what YOU said about Obama being black and it being viewed as a progressive attitude toward racism. I merely stated that Obama needed to show more backbone to be voted in and not rely on his colour and that is what he has been doing.
Well with that logic there are probably people that voted for Obama because they think he is from Mars.

My point is that Americans didn't vote for Obama to "appease" foreign countries. There are much more signifigant issues going on at home. Worrying about what other countries think of us is a non-priority to US voters right now.

I don't know how you can say Obama relies on his color. Black people do not use their color to try to win elections in America. If anything they have to win despite their color. I found this quote from a newspaper that says what I meant more eloquently:

While you shouldn't vote for someone based on color or gender, you can celebrate that gender and color finally don't matter enough to keep qualified people away from the presidency.