View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

Geisha and Fashion. . . ( Image Heavy ) - 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM

This is the only forum section I could think would be most applicable. During the 1890s - 1930's Geisha were considered the most Chic women of the time. Basically, Geisha set fashion trends, and the way they wore their kimono often inspired how normal women wore Kimono of that time.

What do you people think about Geisha and Kimono? The two subjects are something I am very much interested in. I actually run a little forum that specializes in Geisha and Kimono ( specifically how to dress and the intricacies of it. ). I'm really looking to spread some information on kimono to people who are interested, as, to be honest, there's really not a lot of information out there.

I'm actually a proficient kimono dresser for not having gone to a school, though I am far better in dressing someone else.

Recently, there has been a surge of new attention brought to Kimono, and Geisha-styled Kimono and vintage styles, which also has its draws on wa-loli and fruits. It's called Kimono-hime.

This is how Geisha wear kimono, at least Maiko-san.

Here's a 1920's Geisha. Not what one would expect of a Geisha, some Geisha communities were fairly modern. This lady has adopted a rather flapper-esque hair do called a finger wave, which, over in the US was very popular during the 20's and 30's.

Below I will post some scans from a Kimono Hime Magazine.

I think it's quite interesting that vintage fashion trends are coming back into fashion, yet at the same time, there's been tweaks made. Lace is popular in kimono, especially around the collars, sleeves and such, in a way that is quite similar to Wa-Loli. There hair do's are anything but traditional, and notice a lot of the shoes are more ballet cut, or boots, not Geta and Zori sandals.

What do you guys and gals think??? : )