View Single Post
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2008, 07:28 AM

MMM has a point, one that I mentioned earlier: innovation does not always equal fun. Take FPS games for instance. Most FPS gamers probably play new FPS in order to play more missions, try out their skills in a different scenario, etc. There isn't all that much innovation between the FPS games, but the scenarios are what sets them apart, and that contributes to a gamer wanting to buy it. A gameplay trailer usually shows the potential buyers if they want it or not, I've noticed.

Regardless, I still think that the market could use more games that aren't holding on tight to some common formula for general success. While the Final fantasy series, for instance, are being maliciously milked by Square-Enix, I still like the fact that they're making them different from the first ten or so games.

Finally, I need to explain how sequels affect the market. This is a fact, that sequels will sell better because their title is already established on the market. This allowed for games like Alundra 2, Devil May Cry 2, Final Fantasy X-2 to sell. They're not particularly good when compared to their original instalment (although FFX-2 has its charm - love how you can do lots of sidequests).

You may also want to look at Ninja Gaiden. The first NG on the XBOX was followed by a remake, NG: Black. Then after that, a second remake: NG: Sigma. That, to me, feels like poor game design, if it had to be remade twice. Yet, it's not a flop. Not from what I've heard, anyway.