(#25 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I see no point in hiring a non-Japanese who tries so hard to look, act and live like a Japanese. I'd hire a real Japanese if I wanted my employees to possess those qualities that are uniquely Japanese.

I'd hire a non-Japanese if he had the qualities that I couldn't expect my Japanese employees to have so that he would help broaden the horizon for my company by bringing in new ideas, new perspectives, etc...
Ah, Nagoyankee, you make sense as usual. The punctuality I mentioned is universal, but the Japanese work ethic pays adheres to it a little more than westerners do these days. Other than some basic survival tips like etiquette and knowing enough Japanese to navigate are probably, I could not think of any specific Japanese traits to recommend because what you have pointed out it bound to be the case.

No employer hires a foreign national because they are as much like their own people as poosible. Its not worth the legalities. Why would you pass over your own countrymen, unless it was to get an aspect they don't have? Americans hire foreigners for the same reason any other country would - the unique perspective on their industry that foreigners can provide. It may be a difference in methodology, view of the market, or a special skill. But it certainly isn't so that you can reinforce and blend in with what the company already has.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.