View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ah, Nagoyankee, you make sense as usual. The punctuality I mentioned is universal, but the Japanese work ethic pays adheres to it a little more than westerners do these days. Other than some basic survival tips like etiquette and knowing enough Japanese to navigate are probably, I could not think of any specific Japanese traits to recommend because what you have pointed out it bound to be the case.

No employer hires a foreign national because they are as much like their own people as poosible. Its not worth the legalities. Why would you pass over your own countrymen, unless it was to get an aspect they don't have? Americans hire foreigners for the same reason any other country would - the unique perspective on their industry that foreigners can provide. It may be a difference in methodology, view of the market, or a special skill. But it certainly isn't so that you can reinforce and blend in with what the company already has.
A lot of these things are simple generalities. If one wants to fit in with Japan, then buy some books on culture and cultural anthropology. Once you have a general idea of culture and how it affects peoples actions and psychology (culture affects everything from breathing rate to how you gester according to the words you use) then read tons of stuff on japanese culture, psychology and history.

If someone asks for cultural differences, then you get generalizations. If you delve deeper (as I mentioned above) then the small nuances become more clear. study how poeple walk and move. Learn to sit seiza properly, learn about eye-contact. Learn that when someone says, "we should meet and go drinking soon," it is just a politeness and probably won't happen. when someone offers an invitation and you cannot attend, don't just say no. Say, "I'd like to," then, "but I'm not sure I can make it," and add, "maybe next time." I'm sleepy and worked all night, so I might be rambling at this point. But I think you'll get the picture.