View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sachikoxx (Offline)
New to JF

studying in japan - 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Hey lonewolf! I happened to be searing on google for something and this came up and I thought I might help, since I had nothing better to do.

I am currently living in Japan and my situation is a bit different (i'm japanese citizen so) But I know the basics of studying in Japan for foreigners.

Firstly, even though you would probably be able to be 'book fluent' in the Japanese language in a year, Japanese is made up mostly by slang and short versions of normal words, theres also the katakana language (english/foreign languages turned japanese.) which takes years to learn (just because it's not something you learn, its something you have to experience)
secondly, if you want to study here as a student you can search for japanese language schools to simply learn japanese daily (many of them offer student visas which you need if you are not a citizen) or if you would rather go to a university there are ones such as temple university, and international christian university. These are both american colleges and have classes both in english and japanese (ICU is more difficult, though. Both to get into and to pass, though, is probably the better academicaly out of the two schools)
Working wise, if you are to work on a student visa you must first get a 'working visa' which you have to apply for once you've moved here and gotten settled. With this working visa you are only allowed to work at the allowed jobs (no being a host, no places that are clubs, no leaflet handing out, etc.) and only a certain amount of hours per week. if this is exceeded and the government finds out you are deported and kicked out of the country for 5 years. (not many people are found out for having illegal jobs, though. but in the off chance, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope that was helpful! And good luck with coming to Japan!