JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

Studying in Japan - 01-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi. I am 20 years old, and currently living in England. I am from South Africa originally, I have a South African passport. I do not have a British passport. I realy want to go to Japan in the future, but I have heard you (mostly) need some sort of degree to work/live there permanantly. I was actually planning on starting a university degree this year or next over here (the universities in England start in September). I would then come over to Japan after I've done it (4 years). But lately I have been thinking this. Why not go over to Japan and study at a university there and work/live there afterwords. But here's the thing. I do speak very little Japanese, just a couple of words and sentences. So I was thinking the following: I would go over to Japan and learn the language there for a year, and then study afterwards (in Japanese). I am confident that if I actualy learn Japanese in Japan, I will be near fluent after a year (or at least good enough to do a degree in Japanese). Anyway here are my questions:
Do you people think a year is enough to learn Japanese?
Are there alot of places that teach Japanese to foreigners?
Do you think I would be able to come over like I said?
How much would it cost for universty in Japan?
What month do the universities start over there?
If I came over like that, what type of visa would I need and what are my chances of getting one?
I'd realy appreciate any advice or opinions. I luckily have the support of my parents (I am working at the moment, and if I do come over I would save up enough money, but I could also borrow money from my parents)
So what do you people think? Can it be done? Any opinions appreciated.

Last edited by Lonewolf : 01-11-2007 at 11:04 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-11-2007, 11:17 PM

I think you would probably want to do at least your first two years of university studies in the UK. Because even if you do come over and study non-stop and some how pass the JLPT level 1 to get into school, Japanese students cover a lot more than other countries at the high school level. I would have to say as well that you are going to have to be fluent in Nihongo, I mean like tons, upon tons of kanji and their combinations.

Visa, I would assume you would have a student visa so any work you take one will have to be for cash. Also if you are caught working in Japan without a working visa, they will fine and deport you.

I am not trying to discourage you and don't have all the facts about studying in Japan, but it's not like Japan is going anywhere. It will still be here when you finish your degree. A possibility would be to complete part of your studies, Japanese in particular, here and then return to graduate from the UK. Then get a job and make the move. Ganbattene, ja ne....

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-19-2007 at 03:30 AM. Reason: I teach English, I hate seeing myself screw things up
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2007, 12:20 AM

I have been thinking alot lately, and I am now getting very serious about going to Japan next year. Like I said above, I don't have a degree (yet). So my imediate plan is to go to Japan for 2 years next year as a "student" to learn the language. If I am fluent enough after two years, I will try enroll at a Japanese university and do my degree there (in Japanese). If I am not fluent enough I will just come back to England, do my degree and move back to Japan afterwards.
But I want to come over next year, so here's a couple of questions.
Would I have to come over on a student visa?
Where would I be able to study Japanese? A university, school or college or what?
I know you are not allowed to work on a student visa, but if I am over there for 2 years, I will need money so I woul have to work some time. So can I work part time on a student visa? If I can, what type of job would I be able to get, seeing as I won't speak Japanese or have a degree? I have been saving up money for the past 2 years, so I would be able to survive for a month or three without working. This is my biggest concern.
Will it be hard getting an apartment, if I am over there on a student visa?
I'd realy appreciate any opinions or answers.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
01-19-2007, 12:25 AM

For learning the language, it depends on where you live.
Here, we have a night class on a Wednesday for Japanese.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Okimoto_Tatsuki (Offline)
.KUBOnoSHUGAitami

01-19-2007, 12:36 AM

interesting

Quote:
whats the course name to learn japanese in a university? and is it different from japanese studies?
thats a question my friend asked that i have no answer to

well best of luck
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JasonDL (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Lone Wolf saved me a lot of typing exact same questions I wanted to ask, too bad no one could answer the questions. I have $11,000 Canadian is that a lot in Japan or less what's the currency? I love the Asian culture everything but one thing the food that's because I'm a very picky eater, I know some would say that's probably the best thing I'm missing out on and probably wouldn't survive just in that case. hehe

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM

Convert your money here.
Did you need the money converted, or were you just asking a plain question?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JasonDL (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2007, 06:42 PM

I was just asking and $11,000 Canadian is $1138940.00000 yen.

Thanks

(#9 (permalink))
Old
sachikoxx (Offline)
New to JF

studying in japan - 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Hey lonewolf! I happened to be searing on google for something and this came up and I thought I might help, since I had nothing better to do.

I am currently living in Japan and my situation is a bit different (i'm japanese citizen so) But I know the basics of studying in Japan for foreigners.

Firstly, even though you would probably be able to be 'book fluent' in the Japanese language in a year, Japanese is made up mostly by slang and short versions of normal words, theres also the katakana language (english/foreign languages turned japanese.) which takes years to learn (just because it's not something you learn, its something you have to experience)
secondly, if you want to study here as a student you can search for japanese language schools to simply learn japanese daily (many of them offer student visas which you need if you are not a citizen) or if you would rather go to a university there are ones such as temple university, and international christian university. These are both american colleges and have classes both in english and japanese (ICU is more difficult, though. Both to get into and to pass, though, is probably the better academicaly out of the two schools)
Working wise, if you are to work on a student visa you must first get a 'working visa' which you have to apply for once you've moved here and gotten settled. With this working visa you are only allowed to work at the allowed jobs (no being a host, no places that are clubs, no leaflet handing out, etc.) and only a certain amount of hours per week. if this is exceeded and the government finds out you are deported and kicked out of the country for 5 years. (not many people are found out for having illegal jobs, though. but in the off chance, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope that was helpful! And good luck with coming to Japan!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
yamada63 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 02-24-2007, 03:35 AM

Hi Lonewolf and hi again Sachikoxx!!

Yes, lots of my friend from China and South Korea come to Japan with none to little of Japanese, apply for Japanese Schools (Nihongo Gakko), learn Japanese for about two years, and then go to university.

However, I think it is better for you to apply it from England or South Africa (the country you are in now). When you got the place, you can apply for temporary visa first, then enter japan, complete the Nihongo Gakko application, and when you are a complete student of the school, you can go to the immigration office and change the status of your visa to "foreign student visa" .

I am a foreign student currently studying engineering in Japan. It is interesting studying here if we are a positive person, which means approach first, not waiting to be approached .

Good Luck!