View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
rudolf (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuruko View Post
I tell you, though, my dream Geta are Koma Geta, like the type the Oiran wear and do the figure 8 step. They're amazing! But I fear I will have to make my own pair, much to expensive! They're sold new for $1000+!
Hi everyone!

Just came across this forum and thought I'd drop a note.

I have been a fan of stilted and platformed wooden sandals for many, many years. Of course this includes geta, especially the higher types like bankara, ippon-ba and koma geta, but also other types of wooden sandals. Obtaining a pair is almost impossible here in The Netherlands. Therefore I started making my own platform wooden sandals. It is really not that hard at all! Not being restricted by any fashion rules I could make them as high and outrageous as I wanted. So far I have made about 7 wearable pairs. They are not the geta-kind, since I haven't found the right material to make the V-shaped straps. In stead, they have a single strap over the toes. The pair I mostly wear in my leasure time is 15 cm high over the whole length, black laquered with a thick cotton orange-coloured strap. Believe it or not but they are really quite comfortable. I can walk in them all day long (with bare feet or socks). I can even drive a car in them!

cheers
rudolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3209.JPG (48.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3225.JPG (53.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3944.jpg (115.4 KB, 9 views)