View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I too have to wonder the same thing. As long as one side doesn`t have Japanese citizenship, the child is listed as having a foreign parent. This will include the Chinese and Korean populations of Japan - most of which were born in Japan, have never been outside of Japan, and only speak Japanese. Then again, with how few babies are being born, it`s certainly not completely unthinkable.
Although I have a feeling that most of the babies were born to Asian + Japanese couples, and will look entirely Japanese. Those who aren`t, I`m guessing have a pretty high chance of moving out of Japan... As it seems like that`s the popular thing to do if the foreign side is from anywhere other than Asia. Even more so, obviously, if both parents are from outside Japan.
Yeah, I also wonder how many of these people are foreigners who've been stationed in Japan by thier companies. How about servicemen? Are thier children born in Japanese or military hospitals.

i'm not sure why this is a big deal, though. Japan doesn't have a law comparable to the U.S. where those children are automatically citizens. Maybe it's just an example of declining birth rates among Japanese?