View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
leagues11 (Offline)
New to JF

need some help picking an apartment in tokyo! - 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

hi there! I'm traveling to japan in about a month and a bit (for, uhhh, a month), and I've been looking at the sakura house apartments. I'm just about ready to reserve an apartment, but it's a little hard deciding on a place! my knowledge of tokyo isn't that great (I have a friend over there, but he's a little too busy to help me with this stuff at the moment), so I am seeking some advice from anyone in the know.

idealistically, I'd love to stay in kichijoji. idealistically. uhhhh, chances of that apartment becoming available are pretty low, unfortunately. but kichijoji represents what I'm looking for, mainly. basically, my preferred location would be one that has a nice neighborhood, great shopping/food, and also lovely nature, but not too disconnected from tokyo. I want to have a great time in japan - not too relaxed but also not too fast-paced.

kagurazaka was also on my radar, for a while.

I like setagaya (futako-tamagawa looks lovely), but again, I fear it is too disconnected from tokyo. not a bad thing! I just don't want to be kicking myself for making the wrong decision. then again, I don't want to be kicking myself for passing up an apartment that has a gorgeous neighborhood, yet I mistake it for being too cut off for a traveler. It's difficult when you can only see a few pictures of said area, instead of walking around there ... you know?

I'd also like to keep to the west side of tokyo (shinjuku, nakano, koenji, ogikubo, nishi-ogikubo, kichijoji, mitaka, koganei -- in descending order of closeness to shinjuku . . . with the first one uhhh actually being shinjuku), or around the south-west side, where it also seems nice. has anyone been to tokyo, and wished they'd stayed somewhere else after seeing it? did anyone really dig their location first time round?

I am prepared to spend more for a nice location ................. without, you know, breaking the wallet too much

I'll list some of my favourite apartments and maybe someone can help out:

Futakotamagawa A Apt.

Kagurazaka 2 "Yaraicho"

Kamimachi Heights

Mitaka

those are just a few! any help - greatly appreciated! thanks so much folks!