View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

10-10-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There have been more than one individual here that has been offered housing by his university or employer, but decided to say "No, I don't want what you are offering me, I would rather find my own," which sounds just like it does in English, but what Westerners don't realize is that sounds like "I don't appreciate the time and effort you have made to arrange housing for me, and would rather risk going out on my own than take the educated effort by you and your staff to make my life in Japan affordable and comfortable."

The relationship will never be the same again.
I don't know about employers, but neither I or any of my friends who doesn't lie in homestay or dormitories have any "relationship" problems what so ever with anyone related to the school.

And they don't arrange the housing until you send in all the papers which say you actually want housing. Now if you would try and cancel after that, then yes.. big trouble.

Oh and yeah, you don't get a specified housing arrangement offer. When you agree to dormitory housing you basically agree to "Yes, I will live wherever you see fit to place me". And when you are placed, you stay there and don't move. (The dormitories are perfectly fine though!)

Again I'm just speaking from experience in one school.

なんでやねん!