View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

China v. Japan - 03-15-2007, 04:50 AM

First I'll give you a little background to establish my "qualifications" to comment on such issues. Studied Mandarin for three in Beijing so everything I say pertains specifically to that area. For Japan, I currently live here. Now, I like both countries and don't prefer one over the other. Even though it may seem like the things I am about to list give Japan an edge, China is fun for all the reasons it is "bad." Japan is also interesting for every reason it is difficult to live in. Removing myself from the daily routine and regularity of home is exactly why I travel and live in different countries. If you just want to see a country and take nice pictures, be a tourist. Get your pictures and go home.

So here we go,

Chinese are honest and outspoken. They don't apologize a gajillion times and are not afraid to push and shove to get what they want. They cheat and bend rules to their advantage. (Think of a communist country with a free market)
vs. Japanese tell you what they think you want to hear. Are law abiding to such an extent that it is annoying. (Won't even cross the road when there is nothing coming but the crosswalk light is red)

China, yell, scream and insult your way to a good price while bargaining with street vendors.
vs. Japan where store clerks are cheerful, helpful and trained like lab rats to yell iraishaimase (welcome) like every five minutes. You feel like you can't even argue with them because they will just kill you with kindness.

In China, I constantly feared for my life. Riding in the taxis, I thought we would crash and die any minute, my apartment's wiring looked like an extreme fire hazard and just breathing the air felt risky.
vs. Japan where everyone drives slow and cautiously, cars will yield for bikes and pedestrians and I have not feared for my life even once since arriving.

In Japan taxis are clean and about expensive as a kidney on the black market. They even obey traffic laws, what's up with that?
vs. China where I could get a taxi to take me to the opposite side of the city for the same price it costs to ride for five minute in one here. And they don't bother with that speed limit stuff and understand that both lanes may be used regardless of oncoming traffic.

Japan, cheap cigarettes and smoking eveywhere you go.
vs. China where the cigarettes are cheaper and you don't even need to worry about that portable ashtray.

Japan, beer is almost two dollars everywhere you go and the drinking water is safe.
vs. China where the beer is cheap and the drinking water is questionable enough that you better check to make sure the seal is not broken on the bottled water you just bought.

China, fake DVD's for a dollar or less.
vs. Japan where a movie at the theater costs around fourteen bucks.

Japan, police are helpful and polite
vs. China where the police are always suspicious and look like they would lock you up just for asking the time of day.

Japan, homeless people sit and look pitiful while accepting your donations graciously.
vs. China where if you give to one, you will have ten of them asking and tugging on your shirt within seconds. Saying, "You are rich American. Give me money. You are rich."

Well folks, that is all I have for now. Enjoy.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 03-15-2007 at 04:53 AM.