View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2009, 05:01 AM

You are pretty close, alanX.

What I mean is a phenomenon that has begun to happen in recent years in America, where recent college graduates in America are feeling they are worth more than entry level positions because they have paid so much for college. (The rate of tuition increases in the last decade is much higher than the rate of cost of living).

So what happens is you have recent graduates who won't apply for $12.50 an hour positions, but for managerial positions (looking at the salary) because as a graduate they feel they are "above" such a low pay wage.

This isn't exactly the situation biginjapan is talking about, but I sense the same "sense of privilege".

Biginjapan's friend is qualified for a job. He took the interview. He didn't get the job. Therefore that is bulls**t.

I had friends (several) who didn't get the same job in the 90s, and when they got their rejection letters they said "I wonder what I did wrong?". This generation doesn't ask that. They say "I got screwed. This is bulls**t".

The reality is that it is a hard economic time to keep on with that attitude.

Getting hired for a job is an honor, not a right.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, biginjapan, and my observations obviously go beyond the scope of your friend, who I don't even know, but this is a something I (and others) have observed lately.