View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

05-03-2009, 06:24 PM

I met this black girl who just went to Tokyo for a month who spoke almost-fluent Japanese and spent most of her free time in Harajuku decked out in lolita. She said she had no bad experiences, but she did get the occasional wolf-whistle...

I believe a lot of bad experiences in foreign environments happen when you go looking for them. Since I assume you have no bad intentions, you should be safe.

I know how you feel. I'm going to Japan next month for 6 weeks as an exchange student, and I'm not exactly a 'normal' black person, let alone teenage girl, so I'm curious as to what the reactions will be.

Ever read Gaijin Smash.net or Black Tokyo? They're good sources for overseas African-Americans. Or you can go to AALikeThese2, some of the members live there or have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
there is a show that comes on my tv that is called "black life in japan" but i havent watched it.
I've seen a few episodes, they seem to focus more on the experiences of black celebrities like Beyonce, which doesn't really help much, to me. I've seen a black military pilot, black anime artist/enthusiast, etc. But it's more on the background of their careers and how they are perceived.

Basically, it's really 'Black Culture in Japan', not 'life'.

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 05-03-2009 at 06:27 PM.