View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Like the others said, even though I can't speak from firsthand experience, you shouldn't worry about it. For the most part, to my understanding anyway, you'll be seen as a "gaijin" in general. I will admit that it's sad that due to media portrayal that some may have a skewed vision of African Americans, but like anyplace, not everyone will treat you rude and such.

That aside, I know what it's like. The whole, "Japanese people don't like black people" thing from family. My aunt was saying stuff like that, which is surprising due to the fact that she used to be in the Navy, and has traveled to many places (although, no places in Asia; only Europe and Africa). I'd ignore them and go.

At least if you face racism in a place like Japan, it's from "not knowing" on behalf of the Japanese, imo, since they rarely encounter "African Americans" and for the most part, it could be a situation where it's because you're foreign, not because you're black. Here in the states, usually those racist to "minorities" are by those who feel that they are superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAtHeart View Post
I met this black girl who just went to Tokyo for a month who spoke almost-fluent Japanese and spent most of her free time in Harajuku decked out in lolita. She said she had no bad experiences, but she did get the occasional wolf-whistle...
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. How tall is she, btw? I know this is kind of irrelevant, but I'm just very curious in general. I know of some black girls who are into dressing in Lolita fashions, but seems they're all pretty short.
Quote:
Ever read Gaijin Smash.net or Black Tokyo? They're good sources for overseas African-Americans. Or you can go to AALikeThese2, some of the members live there or have been.
Do you go to AALikeThese2? I'm a member on that site. What's your name there, if you are a member there.