View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Nyororin mentioned this in another thread.

As Nyororin said, some schools may discourage people from learning too much Japanese, to keep you as foreign as possible, and to discourage Japanese in the classroom. I have also read this from other places too, so I believe it to be a valid point.

Of course, you're right. Just there happens to be a lot of it in Tokyo, and when I check band's websites, Tokyo seems to be the main place they perform. Though if it really is cheaper, I could always live out of the Kanto region and just patiently wait for tours :3 It's why I'm here, looking for suggestions from people firsthand.

Also, a little off topic here, but I might as well ask.

They say it takes a foreigner 6 months to learn to speak Japanese outside of Japan. After 6 months, would you be fluent, or just good enough to carry a decent conversation?

Right now, I could certainly get by myself in the language. So after 6 months of using the language continuously, I'm trying to get an idea of how fluent I would be.

It appears you want to visit Japan for 1 year because of a band you like? Why even bother to study the language or get a job here? What would be the point? So you can understand the lyrics or read fan magazines in Japanese?

I had written a longer post in reply, but I see it would have been a waste of time. I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean, but help should be offered only it will be taken seriously or be of real use. You are talking about investing a lot of time, money, and traveling to a foreign country and working there for a long period of time because you want to be able to see a band you like?

This is not realistic or remotely sensible, and doesn't merit realistic or sensible advice. Of all the things which Japan has to offer (and there are many), pop culture is the most fleeting superficial; as they say "here today, gone tomorrow". In 5 years you'll have another favorite band; God forbid they sing in Antarctica or Afghanistan... I don't think either country offers a working holiday visa program.