View Single Post
(#135 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-19-2009, 11:20 PM

YUKITOKOROさん
Quote:
By the way, I’ve heard that a direct quote style sounds childish. {[Is this truth?] → [is that true/so?]}
思い過ごし、きっと。 けれども、使い過ぎれば、子供 っぽく思われることができます。

Quote:
Of course I wouldn’t mind if I sound childish. I prefer my English being understood.
It’s no use when words don’t convey meanings.
交感です ... or should that be, 完全な合意で?

My aunt said to me, "The shop assistant liked me, and she said that I am very much like her mother. She wanted to exchange letters, but I didn't like her because she kept calling me 'mama-san'. I felt as if I was a bar hostess."

Switching to Local "Dialect"

My aunt said, "The shop assistant seemed to like me, saying that I reminded her of her mother. She wanted us to write (to each other), but I wasn't comfortable with the idea: she made me feel like a bar lady; calling me 'mama-san' all the time."

The differences are:
eliding "to me",
the less direct "seemed to like" in place of "liked",
avoiding the direct "I didn't like" by using "I wasn't comfortable with (the idea/about it/with her), or better yet, "she made me feel uncomfortable; calling me mamasan all the time."
and "I felt like" altered to "made me feel like".
Quote:
My original sentences are:

“My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt. “The assistant said that her mother was much alike me, and she wanted to exchange letters with me, but I didn’t like her because she called me ‘Mama-san’ many times. I felt as if I was a bar hostess.” Many people call a female bar manager ‘Mama-san’ in Japan.”
The unheralded switch from indirect quote in the first sentence to direct quote in the second was the primary cause of difficulty. Basic redaction would simply have been,
First sentence: replace the second use of "my aunt" with "her" and add "; saying." → My aunt told me that the assistant liked her; saying, "she said ..."
BUT "... her; saying, "she said ..." is kind of ugly.

(Don't take too much notice of my punctuation - rules change between countries, and I'm never sure what is correct even for Australia.)

Last edited by girigiri : 06-19-2009 at 11:33 PM.