View Single Post
(#199 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
I am trying to find the correct word. Intellectual pursuits may not be the right one. I am used to living a way of life where I can openly question what is placed before me, or ponder it.
I am still having a hard time getting what you mean here. Can you give an example?

Quote:
Definitely, not all Americans are superficial by any means. What I speak of is a general mindset, which may not be specific to the United States. Having never been out of my country, I can only speak from the experiences I have had here. What I think of is a quality of existence that is satisfied by surface pursuits, and even surface philosophies. For instance, I have met a number of people who adhere to wise adages but are not sure why beyond their basic instinct. A group perception. If this is confusing, I don't know that I can further discuss it - it's a tough thing for me to convey. Maybe, at this tender young age, I haven't yet found the words.
When you say "surface pursuits" do you mean things like drugs, drinking, sports, anime?
Quote:
What my friend experienced in Taiwan was culture shock. His host families, he described, preferred monetary endeavors for their children over the achievements of personal desires or dreams. He described people as working too hard, as pushing their children too hard in school and towards work. He also had (and has) trouble accepting the school system - which I assume has much to do with culture shock. Although he wasn't a fan of American schools, either.
Parents pushing their children is common in Japan, as it is anywhere, I imagine. I wish I could be more help.