View Single Post
(#206 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Both sentences are grammatically correct. They differ in the type of stress being felt by the person, and how they react to it.

Sentence 1 carries the meaning of "pulling", or some force exerted either physically or mentally on the person. The person may have to physically exert themselves in a sport they have not tried before, or mentally exerting themselves to understand a concept or a series of concepts. Either way, the person is finding that the current activity is requiring him or her to stretch beyond his or her limits.

Sentence 2 can be understood as the opposite of sentence one. In my opinion, "tension" in this case carries the meaning that a person is under some sort of pressure, as in a deadline for an assignment. It could also be an expression thought or spoken when dealing with a difficult situation that needs to be handled in a certain, specific way with no errors. Once a person begins to deal with the situation, any actions must be performed with no mistakes until the situation is dealt with completely.
Hi, Koir. Thanks as always.
Thanks for the good, convincing explanation.
When I need to do something beyond my limits, I feel the strain.
When I need to do something very quickly or with no errors, I feel the tension. Right?

Quote:
In the context of having too many things to do, it depends on how familiar the tasks are: if they are unfamiliar, sentence 1. If they are unfamiliar, sentence 2.
Both of them are unfamiliar?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP