View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
This is funny because I worked at a couple of amusement parks when I was younger and we all thought the Japanese were. They took cuts in line, pushed people out of their way, and spoke very loudly. After living in Japan I realized that they did this because they were finally free of the constraints of their society and were just very excited. They did tip very well which is amazing since they don't tip in Japan.
We never saw as many French people, so I guess our opinions were wrong.
I meant to comment on this earlier, but this sounds very unlike the Japanese I know. It isn't uncommon for oldsters to cut in line at the train platforms, but that's the onlt time I see it, (and at least in Osaka people grumble audibly). I can't imagine Japanese people pushing people out of the way.

I have experienced this with Chinese people, though. One time I landed in Osaka at the same time a plane from China landed. All the Americans stood in the line waiting for customs while the Chinese passengers pushed past them to get to the front. I was happy for a couple marines in front of me who put the kibosh on this unlovable Chinese custom very quickly. Children and wives pushed to the front, but fathers were smart enough not to cut in front of American military men in fatigues.