LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

07-09-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Carried out last month by TNS Infratest, the study asked 40,000 hotels worldwide to rank tourists from 27 countries based on nine criteria, from their politeness to their willingness to tip.
Just because of this I will ignore everything in that survey.
Britons among the best?! Pfft, yeah right.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 12:28 AM

I read this survey before, for a class. They don't really mention what kinds of hotels they surveyed at though, which could definitely be a factor. Anyways, i've noticed in my experience that Koreans can be kinda rude, like in regard to cutting in lines and stuff. I noticed someone said that about the Japanese, but maybe the same principle for why they do could be applied to Koreans. Although they don't seem as uptight/polite to me, even in their own country.

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 12:31 AM

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

07-10-2009, 12:49 AM

@ burkhart.... did you mean to make an empty post?

I didn't even know that could be done.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

07-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Being in a tourist town and having run my own restaurant here, I would have to say the worst tourists are Chinese and German's.

the British can be a little problematic, but generally fine and it depends where in Britain they derive from.

American's whilst loud, are generally polite and a lot of fun.

On the backpacker side, the Swiss and Swede girls land first place for some overnight fun.

Yes, the Japanese tourists have always been popular here, although making huge money from them is now over, not like what it used to be.

Cheers - Oz
(#26 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-10-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honoraryjapanesegirl View Post
Dude...wasn't this an artical on the Yahoo! front page?
Yahoo!
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
LOL really? ??
(#27 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 01:10 AM

For some reason Alaska is a really big tourist destination for the Japanese.

As a matter of fact, you see the occasional Australian or Brit, but the majority of our (foreign) tourists are the Japanese.

A giant tour bus comes through town probably once a week, and the Japanese spill out in huge camera-clad, sneaker wearing, postcard buying hordes.

For the most part they are all old and unresponsive.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
This is funny because I worked at a couple of amusement parks when I was younger and we all thought the Japanese were. They took cuts in line, pushed people out of their way, and spoke very loudly. After living in Japan I realized that they did this because they were finally free of the constraints of their society and were just very excited. They did tip very well which is amazing since they don't tip in Japan.
We never saw as many French people, so I guess our opinions were wrong.
I meant to comment on this earlier, but this sounds very unlike the Japanese I know. It isn't uncommon for oldsters to cut in line at the train platforms, but that's the onlt time I see it, (and at least in Osaka people grumble audibly). I can't imagine Japanese people pushing people out of the way.

I have experienced this with Chinese people, though. One time I landed in Osaka at the same time a plane from China landed. All the Americans stood in the line waiting for customs while the Chinese passengers pushed past them to get to the front. I was happy for a couple marines in front of me who put the kibosh on this unlovable Chinese custom very quickly. Children and wives pushed to the front, but fathers were smart enough not to cut in front of American military men in fatigues.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Yeah, I can see the Japanese are the most nice. I havn't had many experiences with Japanese in Thailand. I'm in the Muay Thai scene, and not many show up to learn Muay Thai. It is mostly Australians, Americans, Europeans and Singaporeans.

But I have met a few. I met some at the Thai embassy in Lao yesterday. They were trying to help me fill out my visa form. I thought it was pretty funny, considering I'd done this a dozen times before, and the form was in English, and they barely spoke English. But I can dig that...

I did meet one Japanese guy doing Muay Thai. Every time I smiled or said thankyou he nodded his head so hard he almost knocked himself out on the cement floor. And if I nodded back he'd basically drop to the ground and worship me...

Yeah, I've met some tossa French, but also some good ones, so...

In my opinion, the worst tourists are loud and obnoxious bogan Australians and Americans who get annoyed with people who don't speak English. Or when they try and speak Thai, they say it completely wrong yet still think they're number one.

It is not uncommon for people like this to loudly voice their unwanted opinions out loud every time they don't get their way. They're always right, of course...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 07-10-2009 at 03:02 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I meant to comment on this earlier, but this sounds very unlike the Japanese I know. It isn't uncommon for oldsters to cut in line at the train platforms, but that's the onlt time I see it, (and at least in Osaka people grumble audibly). I can't imagine Japanese people pushing people out of the way.

I have experienced this with Chinese people, though. One time I landed in Osaka at the same time a plane from China landed. All the Americans stood in the line waiting for customs while the Chinese passengers pushed past them to get to the front. I was happy for a couple marines in front of me who put the kibosh on this unlovable Chinese custom very quickly. Children and wives pushed to the front, but fathers were smart enough not to cut in front of American military men in fatigues.
Like I said I think they were very excited. I'm sure they weren't Chinese. People tend to lose their train of thought in these situations where they experience a culture that has less constraints than their own. When I lived in Brazil, I saw Westerners (Americans and British mostly) go crazy because you are free to do anything that doesn't hurt or offend anyone(this is difficult to do in Brazil but it can happen). However, some went overboard and they were arrested. Then they found out in Brazil you have more freedom, but less rights.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!