(#15 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Xentron Send a message via Skype™ to Xentron
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I never used the program, but it was something I seriously looked into back when my sister was interested in coming to Japan...

I think it really depends on your attitude toward language learning. It is a total context based acquisition method - in other words, they never tell you what something means in English. You learn by repetition and context. It`s an EXTREMELY natural way to learn, and personally I think the program is a wonderful idea for those who do not have the chance to actually go to Japan or have any type of immersion course.

For those who started out with grammar and translation, it would be a real stress. They don`t tell you what something means in English (although in the demos I played around with you could eventually be tested with English.) so you have to actually learn the Japanese independent of it`s English translation. For some people this can be really stressful if they`re expecting to be able to do "this = that".

Perfect? Of course not - you`re not going to get any feedback on your own speech. BUT it`s a whole lot more efficient than watching tv and trying to pick something up if you don`t have access to a native speaker.
Exactly and that is the whole point of Rosetta Stone.
It really helps you speak the language IF you are able to associate the words and/or sentences with the situation described by the photo/picture.

I think Rosetta only get's easier in combination with different study methods.
But this of course is only my humble opinion, I have heard a lot of people complain that Rosetta is way too complex for them.
I just differs a whole lot per person.