(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My sense is (having never tried to use it) that it uses a lot of picture association, which might be nice for vocabulary, but it doesn't teach hiragana, katakana, or kanji and it doesn't teach grammar. From what I understand, sentence structure in Japanese in never explained, so you have to figure out how a sentence is structured on your own.
Exactly. This is why I don't use it. The only thing I can praise the old system for is vocab. The new system seems great because you get a lot more interaction. It uses the Communicative Method of learning, plus you get real tutor time. The price tag is crazy steep though, I agree. I hadn't even looked at that when I made the OP.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Xentron Send a message via Skype™ to Xentron
07-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Having actually used rosetta stone myself for more than a mere 30 minutes I can vouch for it's usefulness.
Of course you shouldn't just use one learning method, combine it with a few others!
Rosetta stone V3 teaches you a whole lot of vocab, pronunciation and teaches you how to read hiragana, katakana and basic kanji.
Of course it's all up till a certain basic level but it really helps a whole lot.

I combined it with pimsleurs and with a few books.
Rosetta doesn't cover the grammar at all as it just reads up sentences and leaves you to figure out how it works.
Just supplement that with a book on grammar and you're set.

Of course the price tag could be a tad much for students but I say the price is well worth it.
I'm not too sure about the online rosetta though... having seen the price I'll probably just try out the trial and leave it at that.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2009, 09:38 PM

The whole original purpose of the Rosetta Stone project is to record dead or endangered languages and to entice linguistics comparison among other languages. This is never meant for ordinary people; only for linguistics or anthropology grad students.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM

I never used the program, but it was something I seriously looked into back when my sister was interested in coming to Japan...

I think it really depends on your attitude toward language learning. It is a total context based acquisition method - in other words, they never tell you what something means in English. You learn by repetition and context. It`s an EXTREMELY natural way to learn, and personally I think the program is a wonderful idea for those who do not have the chance to actually go to Japan or have any type of immersion course.

For those who started out with grammar and translation, it would be a real stress. They don`t tell you what something means in English (although in the demos I played around with you could eventually be tested with English.) so you have to actually learn the Japanese independent of it`s English translation. For some people this can be really stressful if they`re expecting to be able to do "this = that".

Perfect? Of course not - you`re not going to get any feedback on your own speech. BUT it`s a whole lot more efficient than watching tv and trying to pick something up if you don`t have access to a native speaker.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I never used the program, but it was something I seriously looked into back when my sister was interested in coming to Japan...

I think it really depends on your attitude toward language learning. It is a total context based acquisition method - in other words, they never tell you what something means in English. You learn by repetition and context. It`s an EXTREMELY natural way to learn, and personally I think the program is a wonderful idea for those who do not have the chance to actually go to Japan or have any type of immersion course.

For those who started out with grammar and translation, it would be a real stress. They don`t tell you what something means in English (although in the demos I played around with you could eventually be tested with English.) so you have to actually learn the Japanese independent of it`s English translation. For some people this can be really stressful if they`re expecting to be able to do "this = that".

Perfect? Of course not - you`re not going to get any feedback on your own speech. BUT it`s a whole lot more efficient than watching tv and trying to pick something up if you don`t have access to a native speaker.
Exactly and that is the whole point of Rosetta Stone.
It really helps you speak the language IF you are able to associate the words and/or sentences with the situation described by the photo/picture.

I think Rosetta only get's easier in combination with different study methods.
But this of course is only my humble opinion, I have heard a lot of people complain that Rosetta is way too complex for them.
I just differs a whole lot per person.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
The whole original purpose of the Rosetta Stone project is to record dead or endangered languages and to entice linguistics comparison among other languages. This is never meant for ordinary people; only for linguistics or anthropology grad students.
I think you're confused. The Rosetta Stone language learning software, which is what this thread is discussing, is meant for ordinary people. (The makers of that software do also offer an Endangered Language Program for endangered language communities.) The academic project you mentioned for recording dead or endangered languages is the Rosetta Project, which seems to have no connection to the makers of the Rosetta Stone software.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
I think you're confused. The Rosetta Stone language learning software, which is what this thread is discussing, is meant for ordinary people. (The makers of that software do also offer an Endangered Language Program for endangered language communities.) The academic project you mentioned for recording dead or endangered languages is the Rosetta Project, which seems to have no connection to the makers of the Rosetta Stone software.
Well, yes and no. The Rosetta Stone creators are the ones who run that project. However, the Rosetta Stone software you see in stores and hear people talking about, that's marketed toward users like you and me.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-31-2009, 12:13 AM

Seems that there are still people who don't know Rosetta Stone
(#19 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentron View Post
Seems that there are still people who don't know Rosetta Stone
I prefer my old-fashion ways of learning the language: actually living in that place or have a conversation-oriented independent study.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

07-31-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
I prefer my old-fashion ways of learning the language: actually living in that place or have a conversation-oriented independent study.
How is that old fashioned?
That still is the best way to learn the language.
I'm just saying that Rosetta Stone is probably well known as a wonderful piece of vocabulary teaching software.
I'm not claiming that it is a sub for living in Japan at all.