View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-31-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Kyoto: - Kiyomizudera Temple (my fave, huge temple up in the mountain)
- Kinkakuji (Golde pavilion)
- Ginkakuji (silver pavilion, not as touristy)
- Gion district (historical-looking district), don't eat there if you wanna have money left. If you turn into the one street for Gion and go till the end, there's a temple there that I like, especially at night. You can see maiko (geisha in training) here.
- Kabuki theater in Gion (forget the name)
- For souvenirs, get something with green tea (Maccha) in it.

Osaka: - Shopping in Namba/Shinsaibashi (start in Namba), make sure you go to the ドン・キホッテ on the river... it's a big yellow building with a big yellow ferris wheel that doesn't work.
- Eat Takoyaki. Yes, I know how it sounds, just eat it. But be CAREFUL and just puncture it with the toothpick first and give it plenty of time to cool off or you WILL burn your tongue.
- Eat Okonomiyaki. Use the spatula to cut it on the hotplace and eat pieces of it on your own place with chopsticks.
- Go to Umeda in the evening and go to the Sky Building. Go up to the very top and marvel at the sight of Osaka at sunset.
- Eat at an izakaya or yakiniku place in Umeda at night!

Who needs Tokyo? :P

PS: 17-18 yr old girls? You had all better STICK TOGETHER and watch out for one another. Don't think you're safe because you're tourists... Japan is known for its perverts. Which maybe you like, I dunno. But they're all in their 50's and with bald spots.

Also in between Shinsaibashi and Namba there's a bridge going over the river (canal?). You're gonna see a lot of hosts there. Just... take your obligatory pictures, and get away. They will try hard as HELL to pick you up, and if they succeed they will take you back to their club, where you'll proceed to buy drinks for yourselves and them, blow all your cash, and get nothing--yes, nothing--in return.
Don't scare her like that... Japan is probably one of the safest place for foreigner. Its just common sense that you take extra care of yourself when you are on a trip. The hosts handing out flyers are usually harmless, unless you try chatting them up or give them dirty looks....why would any tourist do this anywhere else?

Agree to all that in Kyoto, you can also add the Toei Eiga Mura, its a cheesy knock off of Universal Studio, a lot of Taiga drama are shot here...

Do drop by Himeji and Kobe (side trip, one full day each) when you are in Osaka. For Osaka itself, Namba and Dotonbori is a good stop, but it will only last you a day/night. By the shore area, Kaiyukan is one of the world largest aquarium, so thats a good sight.

Bewteen Osaka/Kyoto to Tokyo, you have Nagoya, which has a Toyota museum that talks about the history fo the Toyota company (And the future) if that interest you. Atami/Hakone gives you access to Fuji with NICE onsen resort, so if you built up some fatigue in your trip, it will be a good stop, just make sure you don't wander into a co-ed bath

AROUND Tokyo, I highly recommend you spend at least 1 full day in Yokohama, half a day in Kamakura, and possibly 2 days in Nikko. Others will suggest Takayama, its a bit out of the way, so I've never been, but its very nice there.

INSIDE Tokyo, there isn't much, its just a big city. Akihabara, Harajuku on a Sunday is a must. Harajuku on a sunday gives you access to street vendor in Yoyogi park. But since you are in that area already, you might as well hit up some shopping at Shinjuku and Shibuya. Shibuya is known to be the origin of ALL asian fashion. Drop by the 109 in front of Hachiko, my fiancee thinks that shibuya its the heaven for all girls.. Shinjuku doesn't have much, Kabukicho cleaned up a lot, but its still not the safest place in Japan, so avoid Kabukicho at night, you are safe during the day though. Otherwise, Shinjuku is just a giant shopping area. The night scene is quite interesting. Roppongi Hills, Ginza, Asakusa.... all these are great places for tourist too. Oh, sunshine city, they have a food theme park that have all kind of food if that interest you

Odaiba is worth spending a day for tourist, you can take the morning train across, but I highly recommend walking over the rainbow bridge at night, the view is just amazing.... there are several museum in Daiba. Toyota have a test track in Daiba that lets you try out the latest car, all automated, do get your international driver license before hand....

thats about all that i can suggest.. have fun