View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-06-2009, 03:04 AM

I'll go ahead and mention this:

My grandfather fought in Germany in WWII in a tank brigade. Now, just before the bombs dropped, he and his platoon along with hundreds of others were stationed on the west coast US, ready to go off on what was called D-Day +3. This entailed a full-on invasion of the main island, Honshu. The projected casualty rate by the US Military was 90%. That means the military was willingly sending 90% of however many thousands of soldiers were meant to go there, to their deaths. Reason being, the war would be brought to the doorsteps of families, who would defend their home till their last breath.

Why do I know this? Because he won't stop telling me every time he sees me. It's like now because I live in Japan, I'm the Japan Guy, and everyone feels they need to relate to that. It's not like I had a life before that or anything... god, I feel awful every time he tells me that story.

Anyway, that's my contribution to the topic. If the bombs hadn't dropped, it would've gotten pretty hairy. Like, wookie orgy hairy. The bombs dropped, the Japanese surrendered, the war ended on that front.

And, to the OP: Seriously? You really felt the need to bring this up? It happened, there's no way to go back and make it not have happened, and it remains a pretty touchy subject for many. I think a modicum of tact would have been in order.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。