(#28 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Yes and no..

Were there other ways to win the war? Of course. Japan was all but beaten at the time. But it was the easiest way to win the war as well as the way in which the Americans could reap the most reward as Sangetsu points out.

In saying that though... I particularly hate this discussion because it's redundant and you always get the annoying, chest thumping, American patriot who likes to pretend that America were somehow the "good guys" of WW2.
Tell me how America became involved in the war. Who declared war on who? If America were not the "good guys" in the war, then who exactly were?

Can you tell me what the "reward" was? Billions in national treasure expended, millions of lives lost? How many of your relatives died in the war and were buried in foreign lands? Some of mine did/were.

You read above the numbers of soldiers killed and wounded in the battles for Iwo Jima and Okinawa. How many British, Australian, or French soldiers were involved in those battles? Oh, that's right, there weren't any.

It's funny how soon we forget the sacrifices made in the war. Forgetting is bad enough, but it's stupefying when those sacrifices are belittled.