Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-25-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicenema View Post
  • Do most ATMs take foreign cards?
  • Are most ATMs in English?
  • If I bring some 10k bills are they going to be usable? For example in the States most places won't/can't break a $100 bill and even a $50 is too high some places.
  • Does anyone have a recommendation for a good bank to use in Japan from the States? My bank has some very high fees.
Most don't take foreign cards, try citibank they usually do but are not so numerous. SMBC banks are much more common, most have English help and when I push English it sometimes asks if it was a card issued in Japan or abroad so it seems they take foreign cards.

English ATMs are Citibank/SMBC/7-11

There is no problems with 10k bills. I have never, ever been asked if I have anything smaller. Don't be put out as they yell 10k going in as they put it in the register, that guy behind you is not likely to mug you for your change.

Lots of places in the cities take credit cards and ATMs have cashing services but a word of advice on this, tell your credit card company where you are going. Some stop the card as soon as it is used in a suspicious place and far away Japan can seem dodgy to the computer systems