View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-31-2009, 08:58 PM

Being bilingual is extremely EASY! Most people that are minorities in a country will speak their own language and that of the country they reside (if they have their own language that is).

For me, I've always been fluent in Arabic and Kabyle. Kabyle being my mother tongue, and Arabic the language of Algeria and kids in the street. By age 7, I was half decent in French from TV and the fact that French influence was still alive in Algeria. Moved to England at 7ish and was able to translate basic notions to my parents after 3 months and after 1 year, I was in a higher English class than most people in my year group. This is pretty normal for most Kabyle Algerians. Those that haven't managed to move abroad to learn another language will still speak fluently Kabyle, Arabic and French. For those that count Dialects as a different "language", Kabyle Algerians are all genuises. lol.

I think it's always been clear that languages are very easy to pick up as a kid. From watching DBZ and Knights of the Zodiac and other animes in French, I was able to communicate with relative ease to my cousins in France, in French at the age of 7. God knows how it's picked up, but the majority of kids learn languages like it's nothing!