View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I would say that disliking "seafood" in general IS pretty rare as the sheer variety of seafood people are exposed to all their lives in Japan.
I know of people who hate certain varieties of raw fish. I know of people who hate raw squid. I know people who gag at the sight of uni. I know of people who can`t stand boiled such-and-such... My husband doesn`t like oysters, but loves clams.

The thing is, there is so much variety that unless there is an allergy involved, usually there is something someone likes. Different types of fish have very different tastes. Different types of shrimp even taste different. And then there are all those other types of sea life that would be considered "seafood"...

I think that the "seafood" box is very very small in the US. Shrimp, crab, lobster, "fish", and a couple "specialty fish" seems like all there is. I think that applying this to Japan leads to a lot of misunderstanding. It`s easy for someone in a location where the only seafood available is limited to 5 or 6 varieties, all frozen and processed, to hate seafood. But when you have literally thousands of choices, fresh, etc... Things are different.

I still get a kick out of having people visit and seeing them be amazed that fresh fish doesn`t smell or taste "fishy".
Many Korean people like Seafood to..

Aussies love a Prawn!

Cheers - Oz