JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MoshixMoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MoshixMoshi Send a message via Yahoo to MoshixMoshi
Japanese that don't like seafood - 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM

Probably one of the most stupid questions ever (and I haven't seen it asked before) but are there any japanese people that do not like seafood. I recall seeing on some fan site for a visual kei band that one of the band members didn't like seafood.

Could it be true? Possible, yes.. but probable, NO

(I wish I knew how to read and write Japanese, it would be easier that way, for sure...bleh
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoshixMoshi View Post
Probably one of the most stupid questions ever (and I haven't seen it asked before) but are there any japanese people that do not like seafood. I recall seeing on some fan site for a visual kei band that one of the band members didn't like seafood.

(I wish I knew how to read and write Japanese, it would be easier that way, for sure...bleh
"The Japanese" are made up of individual people with individual tastes, not a fish-obsessed conglomerate. Yes, fish is significant part of the national diet, but it's by no means the whole of it, and there are people who don't like fish or are allergic to it, as in any other nation.

Can it be true that there are Japanese people who don't like fish, probably more than people realise due to stereotyping. So, yes. It's possible. It's definitely probable.

I'll let you decide if this is still a stupid question.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MoshixMoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

10-31-2009, 07:17 PM

No need for harshness man... I'm fully aware that the japanese are people just like any other place and their tastes differ. No reason to jump down my throat. Damn. It just seems unsual, and yes probably because I've been blasted by media stereotypes. And i was just kidding with the whole probable possible thing ...like SARCASM. Lighten up.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-31-2009, 07:33 PM

With this and the chat thread I think you are getting that sarcasm doesn't work on the Internet.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MoshixMoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

10-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Let's make this something positive then, shall we? How about this...since they definately are out there I would like to meet a japanese person that doesn't like seafood so that we may talk about how much we dislike it together! Anyone else not a fan of Food from the sea?

Last edited by MoshixMoshi : 10-31-2009 at 08:33 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-01-2009, 03:20 AM

I would say that disliking "seafood" in general IS pretty rare as the sheer variety of seafood people are exposed to all their lives in Japan.
I know of people who hate certain varieties of raw fish. I know of people who hate raw squid. I know people who gag at the sight of uni. I know of people who can`t stand boiled such-and-such... My husband doesn`t like oysters, but loves clams.

The thing is, there is so much variety that unless there is an allergy involved, usually there is something someone likes. Different types of fish have very different tastes. Different types of shrimp even taste different. And then there are all those other types of sea life that would be considered "seafood"...

I think that the "seafood" box is very very small in the US. Shrimp, crab, lobster, "fish", and a couple "specialty fish" seems like all there is. I think that applying this to Japan leads to a lot of misunderstanding. It`s easy for someone in a location where the only seafood available is limited to 5 or 6 varieties, all frozen and processed, to hate seafood. But when you have literally thousands of choices, fresh, etc... Things are different.

I still get a kick out of having people visit and seeing them be amazed that fresh fish doesn`t smell or taste "fishy".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Japanese that don't like seafood - 11-01-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoshixMoshi View Post

I didn't think that was possible.

Japanese LOVE Seafood and I envy them...

I personally can't stand the stuff!

Cheers - Oz
(#8 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
11-01-2009, 04:54 AM

All Japanese people love seafood!! duh! And all American's love fast food! It's the way of life
(#9 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
11-01-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I didn't think that was possible.

Japanese LOVE Seafood and I envy them...

I personally can't stand the stuff!
I'm with you on this one Oz. I can eat tuna drowned in Mayonnaise, that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
All Japanese people love seafood!! duh! And all American's love fast food! It's the way of life

猿も木から落ちる
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I would say that disliking "seafood" in general IS pretty rare as the sheer variety of seafood people are exposed to all their lives in Japan.
I know of people who hate certain varieties of raw fish. I know of people who hate raw squid. I know people who gag at the sight of uni. I know of people who can`t stand boiled such-and-such... My husband doesn`t like oysters, but loves clams.

The thing is, there is so much variety that unless there is an allergy involved, usually there is something someone likes. Different types of fish have very different tastes. Different types of shrimp even taste different. And then there are all those other types of sea life that would be considered "seafood"...

I think that the "seafood" box is very very small in the US. Shrimp, crab, lobster, "fish", and a couple "specialty fish" seems like all there is. I think that applying this to Japan leads to a lot of misunderstanding. It`s easy for someone in a location where the only seafood available is limited to 5 or 6 varieties, all frozen and processed, to hate seafood. But when you have literally thousands of choices, fresh, etc... Things are different.

I still get a kick out of having people visit and seeing them be amazed that fresh fish doesn`t smell or taste "fishy".
Many Korean people like Seafood to..

Aussies love a Prawn!

Cheers - Oz