(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munzy View Post
本日はベースのTAKAMOTOくんとご飯しました[/b]
today Mr. Takamoto of the bass , cooked rice (??) Cooked rice? No. The speaker and TAKAMOTO had a meal together.

Ah... I see, I was confused because the vocabulary tell "cooked rice or meal"... sometimes I did mistake that I could evitate... if I think about it, I realize that the more proper word to use in this translation was the word "meal"..
The word ご飯 could be confusing to the Japanese learner as it can mean both "meal" and "cooked rice". But in the following phrases, it can only mean one of them.

ご飯を作る = to cook a meal

ご飯を炊(た)く = to cook rice

ご飯(を)する = to eat a meal. This is a colloquial expression.

Quote:
たまに女の子と勘違いしてドキっとしてしまうことがあ ります・・・
there's times once in a while when he's misunderstood for a girl...
Sometimes I mistake him for a girl and my heart pounds.
The "ドキっとして" mean the sound of heartbeats? xD so that's why his heart beats? I image is more a joke -way to say things?
ドキ (or ドキドキ) is an onomatopoeia for heart beats. We have hundreds of onomatopoeias. Use them correctly and you will sound like a native speaker.

The sentence, I'm sure, was a light joke.

Quote:
抹茶をたしなんでおられますね
he have taste the powdered green tea eh (??)
He has a taste for podwered green tea.

"おられます" mean "to have , to be"?
おられます is the honorific word for おります.  おります=います. 

Quote:
昨日夜は久しぶりに会う方々と食事をしたのだけど(男 方です)
いろいろと考えさせられる事が多くて自分自身もっと努 力しないといけな
いと強く思った
Here with the word "努力しない" I thought that the translation was "not have doing a great effort" is not a 'non existent' of something the "ない" ? That's what confuse me
~~しないといけない = to have to ~~. It's really saying "not doing ~~ is no good", do you see this? Just say yes.

Quote:
最近とってもとってもとってもとっても自分の中で
ヘビ柄がブームなのです
Since recently I'm very very very very in the boom of the snake pattern

Recently, the snake patten is so so so much the "in" thing among myself.

I have a question... maybe it's me, but I have this thing that I prefer that the translations will keep (as more as possible) a more similar structure and words as in the original phrase.. I don't know how to explain... I mean... the writer used the word "boom" that mean "in" I see, but what do you think if I would leave the original word that was "boom" ? If you would translate this phrase more similar possible, how it would be?

"Recently the snake pattern is so so so much the boom thing among myself" ?

"Recently, the snake patten is so so so much the "in" thing among myself
I understand what you're tryng to say here and you aren't wrong. But in this case, we are using the word "ブーム" for a different meaning than the word "boom" in English. One cannot say the origianl said "boom" because what it said was "ブーム". This is why I purposefully didn't use the word "boom" in my translation. 

If in English, something happening to only one person can be called a "boom", then I am wrong.

Quote:
"もとって" mean "so" ? I was confused, because in my vocabulary there's not this
Look carefully. The word is とっても, not もとって. とっても is the colloquial pronunciation of とても.

Last edited by Nagoyankee : 11-13-2009 at 03:20 PM.