View Single Post
(#486 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Mostly compositional revisions this time, Yuri. Specifically, the sentence that explains the different lengths of time spent in each section of elementary/high school. Also, I changed the numerical breakdown from 3-3-6 to 6-3-3 to better reflect the listing of years in the previous sentence. The numerical form was kept the same as it could be though of as a complete noun and not a collection of numbers as a list.
Hi, Koir. Thanks!
That’s my mistake.
I should have written 6-3-3. I’m sorry!

Quote:
In the listings of professions (doctor, pharmacist, lawyer) I removed the indefinite article "a" from each. Usually repetition of the same article isn't strictly necessary if the nouns are singular. This makes the passage easier to read and communicates the information so the reader can remember it easier.
It’s very difficult to use “a” and “the”. I seem to have more to learn.

Quote:
Finally, in the conversation with the office woman, I changed "can get" to "could have gotten". The situation she describes (knowing earlier in life what she wanted to do as a profession) did not happen, so it is hypothetical. It did not happen, so any reference to it must be described as a possible action that was not performed.
I should have known that….When I was a student, the teachers must taught that, but still I haven’t learn.

Quote:
The word "pub" in the English examination was probably there as an additional test for the students. Not of how well they knew the material taught in the classes themselves, but a test of how much the students knew about the subject *outside* of the curriculum. College/university tests like putting in things like that to test knowledge and reading skill.
I feel ashamed that I don’t write or speak English properly after graduating from university.
Koir, thanks again.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP