View Single Post
(#163 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Daffy, I have a similar word to, gaijin, here in Thailand. They call us foreigner (especially whites), falang.
yea i know what you mean, i always thought it was ferrenggggggg

but thats probably just my ears

i dunno if its just me, but for some reason i dislike fereng/falang more than gaijin, (and its "polite" derivitive).

something about the word and the way it is often said is (to me) a bit 'attacking', know what i mean?

- i have had some run ins with people trying to be rascist to me in asia.
Its pure comedy.
(after all we have larger genitalia, more powerfull militaries [not china though], and at some point we (europeans) probably owned your country - and could again if we wanted to - etc. )

Though I have found that responding like this will often inflame the situation (though that can be fun)
pointing out something like,
"i can understand how you feel, in europe we used to feel the same way, but don't worry you will always be welcome, as we have put such primitive thoughts to rest"

Also if you have a well conected fixer or well conected contact it can have very funny outcomes.

all in all though, and bringin it back to japan.

Is still think its a bit sad that a country that is supposed to be so 'Advanced' has such a backwards social view on race, nationality, and immigration.
its a true stain on an otherwise wonderfull and rich culture.

thats why i make a point of getting a bit "offended" when people call me gaijin, because if everyone just accepts it there is no chance of change.

also if someone as you said tenchu, calls me gaijin when they know my name/where i am from... they will simply be reffered to as Nip.

simples

Last edited by WhoIsDaffy : 12-22-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: -china