View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM

My language skills first took hold in Cambridgeshire, UK. and when I am around certain accents they become mine without or without my consent, but I have a good ear for them usually. Some of the ones in the video are good, but a few were WAY off the mark to anyone who knows them beyond a theatrical performance.

The first two British were the close to my own British mix.
The Scottish was way off from mine, but mine has a back-country thick brogue to it and is probably tainted with the Cambridge abit. I have to agree with Claire, this one is a bit strange but some of the strange quirks still sound oddly familiar (maybe from my Edinburough landlady - hers was an odd mix of Scot and Brit and soft like this one).
The Russian sounds nothing like the natives I have known - theatrical version. Same for the French. My own French accent has been corrupted over the years, but that one would make my native teachers cringe.

The Texan, Brooklyn and South Carolinan were awful!!! While the accents vary between Del Rio, Amarillo, Dallas and Houston, NONE of them sound like that. She needs to watch better movies if she doesn't have a native to listen to!

And the Brooklyn accent, which is one I have to work hard to get rid off after visiting friends there, was unrecognizable.

The South Carolinian was fakey. Too affected and softened. Not even Scarlett O'Hara's emoting would help it.

This tempts me to do my own tape sometime.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.