(#17 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
02-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The simple word "the" is said to be beyond Japanese comprehension. That isn't the same as saying they speak horrible English. "Very far" from racist? I don't think so.
How so? From what I gathered, it meant the Japanese say something like "He is student" instead of "He is the student". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a bit like bad English.

Quote:
So you think it is funny to compare Asians to computers?

This discredits their education and excuses Westerners lower math scores by dehumanizing Japanese by throwing our hands in the air and saying "They are inhuman! They are computers!" The fact that math skills are higher in Asia compared to the West is not "innate"...it is thanks to good education. But this shirt wants to promote that old stereotype that Asians are born calculators.
Srs bsns right hurr!

Yes, actually, I think it is very comedic to compare Asians to computers. They are smart on average, and we know that. The shirt never said they were inhuman.
It pretty much says Asians were born smart. Please, stop overanalyzing it.

Quote:
No, this one is just stupid.
Along with every other thing that depicts a Japanese person with a katana - including the countless times I've seen this in anime? Sure, call it stupid, but it's not offensive.

Quote:
Anytime you are making a list of stereotypes about your Japanese boyfriend's antics you take the risk of delving into racist stereotypes. Unfortunately more than zero items on this list delve into that area.
The thing is, no matter what, there will always be a stereotype, and there will always be someone there to overanalyze it, just as you have here.
If you were to list "He eats fish very often", I could tear it apart and list the countless other things the Japanese eat besides fish. I could even go as far as to say for listing that you are intolerate to fish and find it repulsive and weird compared to your own diet, and are making a racist and offensive comment by listing that, despite the fact that the Japanese do eat a lot of fish.

The shirt isn't the funniest thing in the world. I'm not going to go posting it on Facebook to show off or something. It's cute, and nothing more or less than that.