View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
How so? From what I gathered, it meant the Japanese say something like "He is student" instead of "He is the student". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a bit like bad English.
It sounds a lot like "bad English" and apparently it is incomprehensible to Japanese.

Are you going to force me to explain myself again?

Quote:
Srs bsns right hurr!

Yes, actually, I think it is very comedic to compare Asians to computers. They are smart on average, and we know that. The shirt never said they were inhuman.
It pretty much says Asians were born smart. Please, stop overanalyzing it.
Yes, the shirt removed their humanity with the word "innate". If it had said "Thanks to my boyfriend's education, he is like a human calculator"...which is more accurate (maybe...certainly simply being Asian does not make a person smart or like a calculator) but is less "funny" (in disparaging Asians way).

I am sorry you think it is funny to compare Asians to computers. I know many Asians that are offended by this comparison...(especially as children living in the US).

Quote:
Along with every other thing that depicts a Japanese person with a katana - including the countless times I've seen this in anime? Sure, call it stupid, but it's not offensive.
It is stupid, as I said, but put yourself in the shoes of a Japanese who has been asked how many samurai swords he owns.

Sometimes the person saying it makes a difference.

Yes, it is not a racist call to arms, but it is based on nothing but ignorant stereotypes.

Quote:
The thing is, no matter what, there will always be a stereotype, and there will always be someone there to overanalyze it, just as you have here.
If you were to list "He eats fish very often", I could tear it apart and list the countless other things the Japanese eat besides fish. I could even go as far as to say for listing that you are intolerate to fish and find it repulsive and weird compared to your own diet, and are making a racist and offensive comment by listing that, despite the fact that the Japanese do eat a lot of fish.

The shirt isn't the funniest thing in the world. I'm not going to go posting it on Facebook to show off or something. It's cute, and nothing more or less than that.
We can work to support stereotypes or work to try and eliminate them. I feel comfortable working to eliminate them. I hope you are comfortable doing what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
News to me. I have never seen this, heard this, or experienced this. No one has ever offered it, even when eating entirely traditional Japanese meals. I would not say it is widespread, and that's all I meant by the fact it fails as a stereotype. I'm positive the majority of my students would find eating raw meat to be... unappetising at least.
In my experience it is very rare, and I doubt that was what the shirt was referring to.