(#36 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Japanese would not disagree the public must have rice as part of their diet and do try to include it with one meal a day. Thats not a sterotype, its a fact. The Black people fried chicken and watermelon is a true stereotype because it isn't a fact.
Pretty much all stereotypes are founded in some way in reality. I don`t think this makes them okay to propagate.

Quote:
In general, many foreigners will admit they can't say foreign words "to save their life".
Yes, but there isn`t a well known stereotype attached to that. I highly highly doubt that anyone is going to think "Harhar, that`s funny because I can`t say foreign words well either!" It`s most definitely just going to go into the "l and r mix up is so hilarious!" bin.

Quote:
I agree its sterotyping. I can't agree there is racism, hatred or dehuminization in it like some have posted. Nor posting old war hate propoganda with wonderful handcrafted adlibs in comparison.
You have said that if someone thinks about these things for a moment they would get them as stereotypes and humor... The thing is, people don`t think about them... And even if they did, I believe you`re giving the average Joe too much credit. Maybe you live in a very international community - a lot of people do not. I know that I have had MANY a "joke" made to me at the expense of my husband, almost all based in stereotypes and ignorance... And these people were definitely not going to "think about it" and make a connection to the reality and reason behind some of these stereotypes.

It doesn`t feel very funny when people laugh and ask you if your kid is going to be a "normal person" or grow up like "one of those Japanese drones". It doesn`t feel very funny when people make jokes about your husband with L and R interchanges.
Stereotypes add up, and I have been told that my son has medical problems because his father was a "monkey"... I have also been asked if he makes me say "I ruv you rong time" before having sex or makes me wear a school girl uniform. It`s all stereotyping, and it`s not very funny when you`re on the receiving end of the "joke".

There may be a place where you can laugh about this shirt - maybe in family, or with the right friends, etc... Things are different between friends. But I am willing to guess that 99% of the time, it isn`t appropriate. That is what I take issue with. 99% of the time, it`s going to be people on the "outside" laughing at the expense of those on the "inside".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.